Updated: Mar 5, 2020
People rarely talk about bladder health, but everyone is affected by it. Each day, adults pass about a quart and a half of urine through the bladder and out of the body.
As people get older, the bladder changes. While you can’t control everything that affects bladder health, there are some steps you can take to improve bladder health.
Follow these 13 tips to keep your bladder healthy.
1. Drink enough fluids, especially water
2. Limit alcohol and caffeine
3. Quit smoking
4. Avoid constipation
5. Keep a healthy weight
6. Exercise regularly
7. Do pelvic floor muscle exercises
8. Use the bathroom often and when needed
9. Take enough time to fully empty the bladder when urinating
10. Be in a relaxed position while urinating
11. For women, wipe from front to back after using the toilet
12. Urinate after sex
13. Wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting clothes